Automation for pick, pack, sortation and dispatch – A 10 point checklist
Ensure that automation fits in with your company’s strategic business plan
– Have you clearly defined your reasons for automating?
Consult your fellow directors/partners to make sure everyone is on board with the decision
– Determine the amount of money you are prepared to invest and your timeframe
Appoint a Project Manager to oversee the automation process
– Ensure your chosen person is well qualified to supervise the task from start to finish
Make a complete evaluation of your existing production processes
– Decide which will benefit most from automation
Consider floor space requirements
– Will you need to move existing equipment or will you require extra capacity?
6. Finding a Partner
Ask two or three highly regarded system suppliers how they would approach the design of an automated solution to meet your needs
– Will you require one custom built system or several different pieces of equipment?
7. Seek Proof
Visit previously completed, similar projects to determine which supplier will do the best job for you
– At this stage ask for design concepts, an estimate of cost and time schedule
8. Decision Time
Select your supplier
– Define the process sequence in detail, project price and delivery date
9. Seal the Deal
Negotiate the contract
– What is the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) annual spend?
– Do you require a maintenance contract?
– Will your staff require training on the new equipment?
Installation of automated system
– Commissioning and final acceptance
Remember, you can call in the automation experts at any time during your buyer journey to provide guidance on the most cost-effective solution for your production processes.
If you’d like to discuss your requirements with Axiom, give Matthew Nickson a call on 01827 61212.
To see examples of our work, click here to read our case studies.